Hey, I got an award! The Sunshine Award, from Gregory Taylor, for bringing a little brightness or inspiration to blogging (or so says teh interwebs). I think it may be a sneaky way of getting people to pass a chain letter around (so much for that brightness thing, eh?)
The “rules” for the award are as follows:
- Acknowledge the nominating blogger.
- Share 11 random facts about yourself.
- Answer the 11 questions the nominating blogger created for you.
- List 11 bloggers: they should be bloggers you believe deserve some recognition and a little blogging love!
- Post 11 questions for them and let them know of their nomination.
Anywho, here’s the entry to go with the award.
I’d like to thank the Academy… Mr. Taylor, I truthfully don’t know you very well, having only “met” last fall via MTBoS. It’s nice to see familiar usernames in my Twitter feed. Considering I only have a few dozen followers on Twitter and my blog, it’s very flattering to receive such recognition at all. Thank you!
And you are…?
Facts about me, huh?
- I teach chemistry. I hate the way most people use the words “chemical” and “organic.”
- I don’t teach biology. If I put some lab materials down for a few minutes, I don’t want it to have walked, crawled, or oozed away when I get back to it.
- In my classroom, “nuclear” only has one correct pronunciation.
- My husband has to kick me in the movie theater if the science is just too bad (there’s been more than one occasion).
- Coffee smells nice and warm, but I can’t stand the taste. Tea is much more my style.
- I would absolutely love to work for Mythbusters, but only behind-the-scenes.
- My favorite element is titanium.
- I double-majored in college, in chemistry and studio art.
- I like watching people learning anything. It’s that cool clicking “noise” you can see in their eyes when they get it.
- I don’t really care for sports, but do have a soft spot for baseball.
- I wish I knew how to do woodworking and some construction-type stuff.
Is that your final answer?
Questions from Mr. Taylor:
- Animation or Live Action?
Both can be good media if the story’s interesting. Because of the state of CGI and airbrushing, a lot of movies really are animation anyway.
- Handwritten or Electronic?
Handwritten. I’m actually pretty old-school. And, it sucks to take chemistry-related notes (with subscripts and sketches) in digital format without crazy tools.
- Fiction or Non-fiction?
Mostly fiction. I like to read to relax.
- Parabola or Circle?
Science people are all about cycles and completeness. Circle.
- Introversion or Extraversion?
- How you see your alignment. (Good/Evil/Lawful/Chaotic: see image below)
Actually, I already knew this, but Lawful Neutral. I think a lot of teachers fall into this category: mostly rule-following and willing to help.
- A regret you would NOT undo if given the chance.
I try not to regret things, as it just wastes energy (easier said than done). I’ve tried to learn from my mistakes and take the good things from them, so I don’t want to NOT-undo any of them.
- Favourite leisure activity.
(Oh, you Canadians, with your u’s….) I like reading for fun. Doesn’t happen often any more, so it’s kinda a luxury.
- Favourite TV show. (Current or not.)
I don’t have television service, but I do like some Dr. Who.
- Favourite time travel story. (Book, movie, whatever.)
Dr. Who counts, yes?
- This space left blank. Option: Pose a question back to me.
Okay! I know you write a serial. What other serials do you read?
The nominees for the next award are…
Here’s where I’m going to sorta cop out. Like Justin Aion, I don’t like naming names. Besides that, a significant percentage of my followers have already received the award from other people. So, go ahead and answer my questions if you like:
And so I ask…
- What’s your favorite non-teaching-related website?
- When you were little, what did you want to do when you grew up?
- Where do you most want to go in the world?
- Where do you most want to go, within 200 miles (that’s about 120 km)?
- Along those lines: metric or imperial?
- Best thing to eat that you don’t know how to (or don’t like to) cook/make?
- Can you spell your name in elements?
- If you had to switch to your non-dominant hand, what would drive you the most crazy?
- What’s the weirdest/coolest thing you’ve done (or seen) with common office supplies?
- Think of your worst class (you know which one I’m talking about). What’s the best thing about that class?
- Why is this award based on 11s?